04 September 2009

I have Finally Decided to....

I have finally decided to stop my breast milk supply. This is not an easy decision because I so can't bear to say goodbye to them. But Baby K doesn't know how to latch on and taking the long flight back to Singapore is no joke to me... where do I go to express out the milk? Actually Kenneth had long long ago (when Baby K was just few weeks old) asked me to give up on giving Baby K my breast milk. I was so frustrated and upset back then because this silly boy just refused to open his mouth big big and latch! I guess the reason why he didn't know how to latch is due to the fact that during the initial 2 weeks of his life, he was totally on bottle feeding. I was busy doing my own confinement and Kenneth was solely and fully in charge of the baby.


When Baby K didn't want (or didn't know how) to latch on, I spoke to numerous people, read up many information over the internet. Also spoke to the latching consultant over at the PD Office. She said it was too late (Baby K was 10 weeks old then) and that I should had gone to her earlier. -.-" But when I read about how persistent Mummy Amulet was when her darling daughter refused to latch on, it motivated me... for a while. (Amulet, you are good!!)

Thinking back, I wonder how I struggled through. Having to cook when the wounds was so painful is really no joke. But then again, I really have to thank my mum for not coming over because I feel that, having the chance to do the confinement myself is an once in a lifetime opportunity. This will definitely not happen if I am in Singapore. At least this is an experience that money cannot buy. =)


Friends asked me this question after I delivered, which I find it very amusing. "Do you still cook now that you need to look after your baby?" Eh... our daily life doesn't stop just like this. Everything is as per normal, just that we have an extra member now and he is the top priority. I still cook and I still do housework. They asked me, "how do you cope?" Seriously and honestly, I am not sure too... hahaha... maybe God knows I have no one to help me (Kenneth only helps with the BB, and at times, a bit of housework), so gave me quite a well-behaved baby. =) Let's hope he will not be mischievous when he grows up (because boys tend to be more naughty than girls).


Alright, going back to the breast milk supply... I am so thankful that he accepts formula milk well. I read that some babies tend to fuss when they are given FM. But then again, maybe because we had been giving him since birth. We were actually already starting to prepare him for the switch from BM to FM 6 months back. *LOL*


I had been very diligently expressing out the BM every 3-4 hours ever since we came back from the hospital. This had been going on for 6 months already. I never had a thorough sleep throughout the night. I was so afraid that I would miss the time that I do not dare to fall deep into slumberland. Thank got I am not working!! I wonder how those working mummies cope, having to wake up at least once every night is no joke. When many of you are deep in your sleep at 3-4am, I was up... expressing at the "pumping station", with my eyes half opened. By the time I was done, I was wide awake. And when the time comes for me to fall back to sleep, I need to wake up. I do not have the habit of having afternoon naps. I am thankful that I do not look like a panda bear now. *LOL*


Right now, I am only expressing 3 times a day. Slowly will cut it down to twice a day, then once a day. And hopefully, the BM will stop its supply soon. Still have lots of "reserves" in the fridge. Gonna start clearing them. And need to stock up on Baby K's FM, for fear that he is not used to the type in Singapore. Kenneth is funny though, he said buy lots and lots of FM back, enough to last Baby K till 1 year old. Ha ha... I only heard of people bringing FM over from Singapore (coz cheaper), never heard of the other way round!! But to him, this is his "xin gan bao bei", money is not an issue. -.-" (I think he will definitely spoil Baby K rotten next time... not to mention my in-laws too. Then I will have a hard time. *sigh*)

Playing with his bottle when I gave him water after his "breakfast" (bread dipped in milk + oat cereals mix with banana puree)
Very engross... but doesn't know how to put it inside his mouth...
It's the everyday "sitting" exercise. He looks like Kenneth if he doesn't smile (I think)... the stern look...

Smiling a bit...
Doing sit and reach...
Laughing non stop... I also don't know what's so funny... -.-"
Getting lazy... going to slide his way down...
Still trying... wriggling his way through...
ta-dah... finally succeeded! And the poor pillow at his feet became the "victim" of his power kicks.

After this, he was so tired and is now napping soundly on our bed.

4 comments:

  1. Well if you want better priced baby formulas to bring back.. check out walmart.. when we visit the US, I get the Parents Choice stuff (kind of look like Nestle) now I giving Darwin Gain Eye Q (from Abbott Labs, US for children 12mths n older. THey have other formulas for younger babies) when we are back in the UAE... not baad la.. I don't like the Promil stuff cos they add vanilla flavour to the formula and it becomes artifically sweet.. less sugar in the Gain formulas... given that Baby K has rash.. are you giving him AH (Anti Hypoallergenic) formulas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's drinking Similac. Need to change his FM coz of his rash? OooOo... Learn something from you again! Anti Hypoallergenic!! I will go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Similac singapore also have...no need to buy from USA la

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn,
    We are afraid the Similac sold in Singapore taste different from those sold here and then disaster will happen if he refuses to drink. Ha ha... So, we need to buy some cartons back and prepare him for the switch.

    ReplyDelete