27 August 2009

Rice Soup aka Porridge

Baby K turned 6 months old yesterday and so, I started him on porridge today! Woke up at 10am and after giving him his milk, started to cook his porridge. Wendy told me that need to cook a very very long time in order to get the "lan" effect and must use low fire. Indeed, took a couple of hours to get this done, with occassional stirring.

Porridge with potato, carrot, minced meat and scallops. I think it's "lan" enough. The porridge I cook for our consumption is always like... rice with soup. *LOL*

Kenneth woke up to "witness" Baby K's first taste of porridge. He said he likes to see baby's reaction whenever we introduce new food to him. And so, he became the camera man, making himself useful, instead of just hanging around. (Thank god he didn't object to it coz he is always wondering, why I need to take so many pictures everyday.)

Baby K's response to the porridge? HE DOESN'T LIKE IT!!! He gave me the funny face and started to spit EVERYTHING out. I tasted the porridge prior to that, hmm... it's okie... a bit of sweetness (from all those ingredients) but still plain. *LOL*
He kept turning his head away whenever the spoon is near him.

Artistic shot! *LOL*
Need to hold the bowl far away, for fear that he will come and snatch it... porridge was super HOT! But so far, he is quite a good boy... never snatch the bowl or spoon whenever I give him solids. *phew* He only likes to "clean" his mouth with his hands... thus resulting in the whole face stain with whatever solids he is eating. *yucks*
Smiling for the camera!

Fed him until I was VERY FED UP AND ANGRY!! He simply refused to eat!! I gave up and went to prepare some sweet potato puree. An idea came to me! I was thinking... can I mix the sweet potato puree into the porridge and "trick" him into eating? Asked Kenneth and he said... "why not, they are food, right?" And so I mixed them up.

Finally eating the porridge (because of the sweet potato puree). When the spoon was first placed infront of his mouth, he even sample a bit first, and once confirm it is nice, he open the mouth and take in more. -.-" What a choosy baby!!
Still eating alright... but after a while, refuse to eat again! Then I got very confuse... is he full? Let him rest a while, then I made rice cereals, mixed with a bit of milk. He ate half of it and started fussing again. I guess, he was full already and stopped feeding.

We finally ended this "lunch ordeal" at 2pm (we started at 1pm). His next feed should be at 5pm and I kept monitoring, trying to sense if he was (still) hungry. I guess he was full coz he never cry or what. Took his nap at 4pm, woke up at 6pm and gave him milk.

Tomorrow will be another "porridge-eating-struggling" day for the 2 of us. Kenneth said must let him get used to eating porridge. I will standby the sweet potato puree though. Just in case. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day!

p/s: anyone knows what other type solids I can give him?

11 comments:

  1. u may want to try other kind of puree.. I have not tried sweet potato and also green peas puree for my son, coz these food causes "wind" in their belly.. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, really!! but if I don't use sweet potato puree, I am not sure what else i can use to "trick" him into eating his porridge. Every meal is a headache and a challenge. Hopefully he will get used to porridge texture soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wat abt cereal mix with either some milk or water plus other kind of puree? i load up my cupboard with these, so whenever i go out with baby, i juz bring one of the puree and a bowl with lid containing the cereal.. save alot of time too.. and also, u may want to try single food puree (apple, vanilla custard or chicken)instead of ABC soup like u mentioned..

    ReplyDelete
  4. was that a typo error? a burden of joy? heee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine,

    Ya, I was lying in bed last night, thinking for the longest time how not to make the puree so sweet. Finally thought of it, mix with water. Going to try later.

    Is your BB ok to take porridge??

    How to make chicken puree? Steam it and then put into blender? Like how we make the other purees??
    Vanilla custard sounds like a lot of work... hahaha... I will give that a miss...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i bought Gerber food from walmart.. haha.. but then u may want to try out other kind of puree..ripe banana (juz mash), carrot (steam then mash), squash, broccolli etc.. Chicken i have no idea.. i usually cook big chunk of chicken in the porriage then i gave the chicken to my dog. coz my son hates the chicken.. maybe i use breast, too tough for him.. or u may try tilapia.. they're boneless which is cool.. my son is ok with porriage.. and even the noodle soup from king eggroll.. =)) keep trying to find out what ur son likes. coz like mine, he hate the mash potato from popeyes.. etc etc..

    ReplyDelete
  7. how about u try to puree with formula milk or BM since you are trying to rid your stock.. if Baby K taste something he is familiar to in new food he not so stubborn in accepting them...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jean..the book says...to boil the chicken in the chicken stock (stock is boil chicken bones with ginger) then puree the cooked meat..
    p/s..for your info..I'm dl-bazaar...just that i log in my other blog so when i leave a comment, that name appears...i did not realise that ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christine,
    Thank you!! I have no idea that introducing a new type of solid is so tough because I saw my niece being brought up and she was okie with the porridge, etc.

    For now, he only likes to drink milk. Ha ha. And maybe loves to eat bread. Rejecting rice / oat cereals also. Sianz... For this part, I am glad I am going home soon, can pass this "headache" to others. Ha ha...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sam,
    Ya... Btw, ur "recipe" of mash banana mixed with oat cereals was well like by him at one point. I think it must have taste real yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dawn,
    Ya, I will cook the chicken and try to mash it up and let him try... one fine day!

    ReplyDelete